The field of dentistry has witnessed the increasing use of intraoral photography for various orthodontic treatments. Intra and extra oral photography are ideal methods that assist both the dentist and the orthodontic patients to monitor the progress in the treatment. Intraoral photography allows reproduction of magnified and uniform images that provide in depth information required to understand dental problems. We have discussed in detail about intraoral photography and its benefits.
What is Intraoral Photography?
Intraoral photography is a modern method in dentistry used in diagnostics and treatment. In this process, the dentist photographs the patient’s oral cavity by means of special dental cameras. In this manner, the dentist can get a better image of the teeth and gums. Dentists can indicate the dental damage and suggest necessary treatments. These intraoral cameras have been used since late 1980′s and are a common appearance at majority dental offices.
How do you evaluate an Intraoral Camera?
With increasing dependence on the intraoral photography techniques, several intraoral cameras have been developed. The intraoral camera used in intraoral photography is a tiny pen sized device. It is easy to use and also painless. Most intraoral cameras have a disposable cover to prevent spread of infection. The intraoral cameras conduct tooth by tooth examination as they move around the mouth. It transmits video images to a computing unit which are then enlarged and displayed on a television screen. These images can be stored and printed when needed.
There are some factors you need to evaluate while buying an intraoral camera. Intraoral cameras are available in three types – digital, analog and hybrid. The intraoral camera should have the ability to deal with multiple views especially the innermost views. You should also consider the portability of the camera and the entire system. The other factor on the basis of which you rate your intraoral camera is the ease of operation including the setup and hand piece configuration. The usefulness of the camera is also determined by the overall image quality and the total number of images that can be displayed. Also consider whether the camera has an autofocus or a manual focus and the ease with which you can adjust or change focus.
What makes Intraoral Photography an efficient method?
The intraoral camera is a highly advanced innovation in the field of dentistry and orthodontics. The intraoral cameras are an incredible tool to give you a close up view of the inside of your mouth.
- The ability to reproduce magnified images is regarded as the most important benefit of the intraoral photography methods. The level of magnification allows dentists to get a clear and precise view of problems such as cracked teeth, open margins, gum diseases, plaque deposits, cavities, open or broken fillings and so on. Thus, the intraoral cameras cover even minute damages that may be overlooked during an ordinary examination.
- Intraoral photography helps dentist catch problems while they are minute and can be repaired easily and without spending too much.
- The Intraoral photography technique allows dentists to involve patients in the process of diagnosis and treatment. The images captured by the intraoral cameras are displayed on a computer monitor screen and are visible to the patient as well. This develops a sense of trust in the diagnosis. Patients also confidently accept the recommended treatment measures as they jointly view and understand the dental conditions.
- The dental photographs thus clicked can be used to maintain a dental record or your own personal record. They can be beneficial for a follow up treatment. It can also be forwarded to specialist for consultation and discussion on the potential problems.
- Lastly, the pictures taken with the intraoral cameras during the treatment process can be presented as photo documentation for insurance claims.